What to Wear in Mexico City in December
Mexico City, the vibrant capital of Mexico, offers a unique blend of rich history, cultural heritage, and modern cosmopolitan living. As you plan your trip to this bustling metropolis in December, it is important to consider the weather and pack accordingly. In this article, we will guide you on what to wear in Mexico City in December, ensuring you stay comfortable and stylish during your visit.
Weather in Mexico City in December:
December marks the beginning of winter in Mexico City, with cooler temperatures and occasional rainfall. The average high temperature during the day ranges from 19°C (66°F) to 22°C (72°F), while the evenings and nights can be chilly with temperatures dropping to 8°C (46°F) to 10°C (50°F). While it may not be as cold as some other destinations during winter, it is still essential to dress appropriately to stay warm and comfortable.
Here are some essential clothing items to pack for your trip to Mexico City in December:
1. Layers: As the weather can fluctuate throughout the day, layering clothing is key. Opt for lightweight sweaters, cardigans, and long-sleeved shirts that you can easily add or remove based on the temperature.
2. Jackets and Coats: Bring a medium-weight jacket or coat for the cooler evenings and mornings. A waterproof outer layer is also recommended to stay dry during occasional rain showers.
3. Pants and Jeans: Pack a mix of pants and jeans for your daytime activities. Jeans are versatile and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
4. Footwear: Comfortable walking shoes are a must for exploring the city’s many attractions. Opt for closed-toe shoes to keep your feet warm and protected. Additionally, bring a pair of waterproof shoes or boots in case of rain.
5. Scarves, Hats, and Gloves: To stay warm during colder days and nights, pack a scarf, hat, and gloves. These accessories not only provide warmth but also add a stylish touch to your outfits.
6. Sunglasses and Sunscreen: Despite the cooler temperatures, Mexico City still experiences sunny days. Protect your eyes with a pair of sunglasses and your skin with sunscreen.
7. Dressing for Nights Out: If you plan to enjoy the city’s vibrant nightlife, pack some dressier options. Women can opt for dresses or skirts paired with tights, while men can wear dress shirts or collared shirts with trousers.
1. Can I wear shorts in Mexico City in December?
While the daytime temperatures may be comfortable for shorts, it is advisable to opt for pants or jeans to stay warm during the cooler evenings and nights.
2. Do I need to bring an umbrella?
While not essential, it is recommended to bring a compact umbrella or a waterproof jacket with a hood to stay dry during occasional rain showers.
3. Can I wear sandals or flip flops?
While sandals or flip flops may be comfortable for indoor use, it is advisable to wear closed-toe shoes or sneakers when exploring the city to protect your feet and keep them warm.
4. Is it necessary to bring a heavy winter coat?
Mexico City’s winter temperatures are relatively mild compared to other destinations. A medium-weight jacket or coat should be sufficient, but layering is key to adapt to changing temperatures.
5. Are there any cultural considerations when dressing in Mexico City?
Mexico City is a cosmopolitan city, and the dress code is generally relaxed. However, it is advised to dress modestly when visiting religious sites or more conservative neighborhoods out of respect for the local culture.
6. Can I wear casual attire to restaurants and bars?
Most restaurants and bars in Mexico City have a casual dress code, but it is always a good idea to check in advance if any specific dress requirements exist for your chosen dining or entertainment venue.
7. Are there any specific clothing items I should avoid wearing?
Avoid wearing excessively revealing clothing or items with offensive slogans or symbols to respect the local customs and traditions.
In conclusion, when visiting Mexico City in December, it is important to pack clothing suitable for the cooler temperatures and occasional rain showers. Layering clothing, including lightweight sweaters, jackets, and coats, will ensure you stay comfortable throughout the day. Don’t forget to bring comfortable walking shoes, accessories like scarves and hats for warmth, and a waterproof outer layer. By dressing appropriately, you can fully enjoy the vibrant city while remaining stylish and comfortable.