What to Do Near Phoenix Airport
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is one of the busiest airports in the United States, serving millions of travelers each year. If you find yourself with a layover or some extra time before or after your flight, there are plenty of things to do and explore near the airport. From outdoor adventures to cultural experiences, Phoenix offers a variety of attractions that are only a short distance away. Here are some suggestions on what to do near Phoenix Airport.
1. Visit the Desert Botanical Garden: Located just a 10-minute drive from the airport, the Desert Botanical Garden is a must-visit attraction. Explore the stunning collection of desert plants, take a guided tour, or attend one of the garden’s many events and exhibitions. With its beautiful trails and unique desert landscapes, this botanical garden provides a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of the airport.
2. Explore Papago Park: Situated adjacent to the Desert Botanical Garden, Papago Park offers a range of activities for outdoor enthusiasts. Hike the trails, rent a bike, or simply enjoy a picnic while taking in the stunning views of the red sandstone formations. The park also houses the Phoenix Zoo and the popular Hole-in-the-Rock formation, which provides a great spot for sunset photography.
3. Visit the Heard Museum: If you’re interested in Native American art and culture, the Heard Museum is a must-see. Located just a short drive from the airport, this internationally renowned museum showcases the heritage and artistry of American Indian tribes. Explore the extensive collection of artwork, attend a cultural event, or shop for unique Native American crafts.
4. Discover Downtown Phoenix: Just a 15-minute drive from the airport, downtown Phoenix offers a vibrant mix of dining, shopping, and entertainment options. Explore the Phoenix Art Museum, catch a show at the Orpheum Theatre, or enjoy a meal at one of the many local restaurants. Don’t forget to check out the Roosevelt Row Arts District, a lively neighborhood known for its street art and galleries.
5. Experience the Musical Instrument Museum: Located about 20 minutes from the airport, the Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) is a one-of-a-kind attraction. With its vast collection of musical instruments from around the world, the MIM offers a fascinating journey through the history and diversity of music. Explore the exhibits, listen to live performances, and even try your hand at playing various instruments in the Experience Gallery.
6. Shop at Arizona Mills: If you’re in the mood for some retail therapy, head to Arizona Mills, which is conveniently located near the airport. This massive outlet mall features over 185 stores, including popular brands and designer outlets. Whether you’re looking for fashion, electronics, or home goods, you’re sure to find a great deal at Arizona Mills.
7. Enjoy a hike at South Mountain Park: For outdoor enthusiasts, South Mountain Park is a must-visit destination. Situated about 25 minutes from the airport, this expansive park offers over 50 miles of hiking, biking, and horseback riding trails. Take in panoramic views of the city skyline, explore the desert terrain, and immerse yourself in nature.
1. How far is Phoenix Airport from downtown Phoenix?
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is approximately 4 miles from downtown Phoenix. It takes around 15 minutes to drive between the two.
2. Can I rent a car at the airport?
Yes, Phoenix Airport offers several car rental options. You can find various car rental agencies located at the Rental Car Center, which is a short shuttle ride away from the terminals.
3. Are there any hotels near Phoenix Airport?
Yes, there are numerous hotels within close proximity to the airport. Some hotels even offer free shuttle services to and from the airport for added convenience.
4. What is the best time to visit the Desert Botanical Garden?
The Desert Botanical Garden is open year-round, but the best time to visit is during the cooler months from October to April. During this time, the weather is pleasant, and you can explore the garden comfortably.
5. Is there public transportation available from the airport to downtown Phoenix?
Yes, Phoenix Airport offers a variety of transportation options, including buses and light rail services. The Valley Metro Rail connects the airport to downtown Phoenix and other major locations in the city.
6. Can I visit multiple attractions in a day near Phoenix Airport?
Yes, many of the attractions mentioned are within a short driving distance from the airport, allowing you to visit multiple places in a single day. Plan your itinerary accordingly to make the most of your time.
7. How long should I plan for a visit to South Mountain Park?
The amount of time you spend at South Mountain Park depends on your level of outdoor activity and the trails you choose to explore. Plan for at least a couple of hours to enjoy a hike or take in the scenic beauty of the park.
In conclusion, Phoenix Airport offers plenty of opportunities to explore and experience the diverse attractions the city has to offer. Whether you’re interested in nature, culture, or shopping, there is something for everyone near the airport. So, make the most of your layover or extra time and discover the wonders of Phoenix, just moments away from the airport terminals.