What to Do in Seligman, AZ: A Snapshot of Historic Route 66
Nestled in the picturesque mountains of Arizona, Seligman is a charming town that offers a glimpse into the past. Located along the historic Route 66, this small town is known for its rich history, vibrant culture, and stunning natural beauty. Whether you’re a history buff, an adventurer, or a nature enthusiast, Seligman has something for everyone. Here are some of the top things to do in this iconic Arizona destination.
1. Explore the Historic Route 66: Seligman is often referred to as the “Birthplace of Historic Route 66.” Take a stroll down this iconic road and experience the nostalgia of a bygone era. Admire the vintage neon signs, quirky roadside attractions, and classic Americana that dot the landscape.
2. Visit the Roadkill Cafe: This quirky eatery is a must-visit for those looking for a unique dining experience. Indulge in their famous buffalo burgers or try the aptly named “flatliner fries” while surrounded by amusing roadkill-themed decorations.
3. Discover the Angel & Vilma Delgadillo’s Route 66 Gift Shop and Visitor Center: Owned by the famous Delgadillo family, this charming shop is a testament to their dedication in preserving the spirit of Route 66. Browse through a wide range of nostalgic souvenirs and learn about the town’s history from the friendly staff.
4. Take a Ride on the Grand Canyon Railway: Hop aboard the historic Grand Canyon Railway in Williams, just a short drive from Seligman. Enjoy a scenic journey through the beautiful Arizona landscape as you make your way to the breathtaking Grand Canyon. This unforgettable experience is a must for nature lovers.
5. Embrace the Outdoors at the Prescott National Forest: Just a short drive away from Seligman lies the stunning Prescott National Forest. Explore miles of hiking and biking trails, go fishing in the pristine lakes, or simply relax and soak in the serene beauty of nature.
6. Attend the Annual Seligman Days: Every September, Seligman comes alive with the annual Seligman Days celebration. This lively event features parades, car shows, live music, and various other festivities. Immerse yourself in the vibrant local culture and join in the fun.
7. Visit the Seligman Cemetery: For those interested in history and local lore, a visit to the Seligman Cemetery is a fascinating experience. Discover the final resting place of early settlers, pioneers, and veterans who played a significant role in shaping the town.
1. How do I get to Seligman, AZ?
Seligman is located along Interstate 40, approximately 80 miles west of Flagstaff and 110 miles east of Kingman. You can reach Seligman by car or by taking a scenic drive along Historic Route 66.
2. Are there accommodations in Seligman?
Yes, Seligman offers a variety of accommodations including motels, bed and breakfasts, and campgrounds. It’s advisable to make reservations in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
3. Is Seligman family-friendly?
Absolutely! Seligman is a family-friendly destination with plenty of activities suitable for all ages. Kids will enjoy exploring the historic Route 66 and its quirky attractions.
4. Can I visit Seligman as a day trip?
Yes, Seligman can be easily explored in a day. However, to fully experience the town and its surroundings, consider staying overnight to soak in the local charm and enjoy the scenic beauty.
5. Are there dining options in Seligman?
Seligman offers a variety of dining options, ranging from classic American diners to unique themed restaurants. Whether you’re craving a juicy burger or a slice of homemade pie, you’ll find something to satisfy your taste buds.
6. Are there any annual events in Seligman?
Yes, Seligman hosts several annual events, including the aforementioned Seligman Days celebration in September. Additionally, the town also organizes car shows, live music performances, and other cultural events throughout the year.
7. What is the best time to visit Seligman?
The best time to visit Seligman is during the spring and fall when the weather is mild and pleasant. Summers can be hot, so it’s advisable to plan outdoor activities accordingly.