How to Transfer a Car Title to a Family Member in Colorado

Title: How to Transfer a Car Title to a Family Member in Colorado: A Comprehensive Guide


Transferring a car title to a family member in Colorado is a straightforward process that ensures a smooth transition of vehicle ownership. Understanding the necessary steps and requirements can help you navigate through the procedure effortlessly. This article will provide a step-by-step guide on how to transfer a car title within the state of Colorado, along with answers to seven frequently asked questions regarding the process.

Step-by-Step Guide to Transferring a Car Title to a Family Member in Colorado:

1. Obtain the Required Documents:
To initiate the transfer process, both the seller and the buyer must gather certain documents. These include the current car title, a completed bill of sale, a form for transferring ownership, a valid identification document, and proof of insurance.

2. Complete the Title Transfer Section:
The seller should fill out the title transfer section on the current title, including the buyer’s name, address, and date of sale. Both parties must sign and date the title.

3. Complete the Bill of Sale:
A bill of sale is a legal document that confirms the transfer of ownership. It should include the vehicle details, sale price, buyer and seller information, and signatures from both parties.

4. Complete the Affidavit for Transfer of Vehicle Ownership:
The seller and buyer must complete an Affidavit for Transfer of Vehicle Ownership (Form DR2445) available from the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website. This form verifies the relationship between the seller and buyer.

See also  How Much Is IVF in Arizona

5. Obtain a VIN Verification:
Both parties should arrange for a VIN verification, which can be done at any Colorado DMV office or by a licensed vehicle verifier. This step ensures the vehicle identification number matches the records.

6. Visit the Local DMV Office:
The buyer should visit their local DMV office to submit all the required documents, including the completed title, bill of sale, Affidavit for Transfer of Vehicle Ownership, VIN verification, and proof of insurance. They will also need to pay the appropriate transfer fee.

7. Complete the Emissions Test:
In certain Colorado counties, an emissions test is mandatory before transferring a vehicle title. Ensure compliance with this requirement and obtain the necessary certification.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

1. Can I transfer a car title to a family member without paying sales tax?
No, transferring a car title within the family is subject to the applicable sales tax based on the vehicle’s value.

2. Is it necessary to notarize the car title transfer?
No, notarization is not required for a car title transfer in Colorado.

3. Can I transfer a car title if there is a lien on the vehicle?
No, the car title can only be transferred once the lien has been satisfied and released by the lienholder.

4. What if the car title is lost?
If the car title is lost, the seller must apply for a duplicate title before transferring ownership to a family member.

See also  What Is the Best Arizona Flavor

5. Can I transfer a car title if I live out of state?
Yes, you can transfer a car title to a family member in Colorado, even if you reside in a different state. However, certain additional requirements may apply.

6. Can I transfer a car title if the vehicle is leased?
No, leased vehicles cannot be transferred to another person, even if they are a family member.

7. How long does the car title transfer process take?
The car title transfer process in Colorado typically takes around 4-6 weeks to complete. However, delays may occur depending on various factors.


Transferring a car title to a family member in Colorado requires proper documentation, adherence to legal requirements, and a visit to the local DMV office. By following the step-by-step guide provided in this article, you can ensure a hassle-free transfer process. Remember to gather all the necessary documents, complete the required forms, and comply with any additional requirements specific to your situation.