How to Store Solar Pool Cover
A solar pool cover is an essential accessory for any pool owner. It helps to heat the water, reduce evaporation, and keep debris out of the pool. However, when the swimming season comes to an end, it is crucial to store the solar pool cover properly to ensure its longevity and optimal performance in the future. In this article, we will discuss how to store a solar pool cover and provide answers to some frequently asked questions.
1. Clean the Cover: Before storing your solar pool cover, make sure it is clean and free from any debris or dirt. Use a pool brush or a soft broom to remove any leaves, twigs, or other particles. Then, hose it down with clean water to eliminate any remaining dirt.
2. Allow It to Dry: After cleaning the cover, allow it to dry completely before folding or rolling it up for storage. Moisture can lead to the growth of mold or mildew, which can damage the cover over time.
3. Fold or Roll It Up: Depending on the size and shape of your solar pool cover, you can either fold it or roll it up. If folding, start by folding it in half lengthwise, then fold it in half again. Continue folding until you achieve a size that is easy to handle and store. If rolling, start from one end and roll it tightly until you reach the other end.
4. Use a Storage Bag or Box: To protect the solar pool cover from dust, insects, and other potential damage, it is advisable to store it in a storage bag or box. Make sure the bag or box is clean, dry, and large enough to accommodate the folded or rolled-up cover.
5. Store in a Dry and Cool Place: Choose a storage location that is dry and cool, away from direct sunlight. Extreme heat can cause the cover to deteriorate, while excessive moisture can lead to mold or mildew growth. If possible, avoid storing the cover in a basement or attic where temperature fluctuations are common.
6. Avoid Sharp Objects: To prevent any accidental punctures or tears, keep the solar pool cover away from sharp objects. Store it in a place where it won’t come into contact with tools, toys, or any other sharp items that could potentially damage it.
7. Regular Inspection: Even when not in use, it is essential to periodically inspect the stored solar pool cover. Check for any signs of damage, such as tears or holes, and repair them if necessary. By addressing any issues promptly, you can extend the lifespan of your solar pool cover.
FAQs about Storing Solar Pool Covers:
Q1. Can I store my solar pool cover while it is wet?
A1. It is not recommended to store a wet solar pool cover as it can promote the growth of mold or mildew. Make sure it is completely dry before storing.
Q2. Should I fold or roll up my solar pool cover?
A2. It depends on the size and shape of your cover. Folding is ideal for smaller covers, while rolling is more suitable for larger ones.
Q3. Can I store my solar pool cover outside?
A3. It is best to store your solar pool cover indoors, in a dry and cool place, to protect it from the elements and prolong its lifespan.
Q4. How often should I inspect my stored solar pool cover?
A4. It is recommended to inspect your stored solar pool cover at least once every few weeks or once a month to identify any potential damage early on.
Q5. Can I use a regular bag or box for storage?
A5. While a regular bag or box can be used, it is advisable to use a storage bag or box specifically designed for solar pool covers to provide better protection.
Q6. Should I remove the solar pool cover during winter?
A6. It is recommended to remove the solar pool cover during winter, especially in areas with freezing temperatures, as ice and snow can damage the cover.
Q7. How long can I store a solar pool cover?
A7. With proper storage and maintenance, a solar pool cover can last for several years. However, it is advisable to replace it if it shows signs of significant wear or damage.
In conclusion, storing your solar pool cover correctly is crucial to ensure its longevity and optimal performance. By following the steps mentioned above and addressing common FAQs, you can safely store your solar pool cover and protect it from damage. Remember to clean, dry, and fold or roll it up before storing it in a clean and cool place. Regular inspections will help identify any issues that need to be addressed promptly.